In my home country of Portugal our Christmas celebrations begin on Christmas Eve….
“The best gift around the Christmas tree is the presence of family wrapped in love”
An intimate Christmas dinner for four…
I was born in Covilha, Portugal and whenever I go back to this small town at the foot of the Sierra de Estrela mountains I always feel rooted to my Portuguese heritage. In keeping with my heritage, Christmas has always been a time where we gather together to celebrate with Portuguese traditional food and folklore stories that date back to when my parents where children in this region. Our traditional meal consists of a Prawn Bisque, followed by Cod Fish that can be made in various methods, a meat dish and then a variation of traditional Portuguese desserts.
- The log fireplace inspired the richness of the colour I used to create the table decor and place settings for our Christmas dinner. Their home is richly decorated with ornate furniture pieces and a stunning crystal chandelier that hangs in the centre of the room adding opulence.
- By layering a white lace table cloth over a red linen one, created a vintage feel to the table.
- Layering Mom’s delicate vintage porcelain crockery that she has had for over 50 years from www.vistaalegre.pt in white with navy blue and gold etching added to the vintage feel.
- My DIY wreath was used for the centerpiece with added Christmas greenery, red berries and mistletow. TIP: I sprayed the red berries with a gloss plant spray to give a shinny finish to the greenery.
- Using gold spotted ribbon to tie around the linen napkins and inserting a sprig of greenery and mistletoe added a festive feel to the place setting.
In Portugal our celebrations begin on Christmas eve and prezzies are opened at Midnight….
Prawn bisque (Sopa de marisco)
Cod fish (Bacalau)
Leg of lamb (Perna de borrego assado no forno)
The Kings Cake (Bolo de rei)
Farofias (unable to translate)
Fresh strawberries and Coconut tart (Morangos e Tart de Coco)
The table detail…..
Christmas madness is over and with a few days left of 2017 I am looking forward to embracing winter with its calmness.
Wishing all my followers a fabulous 2018 filled with loads of blessings !!!